The Laboratory was founded in 1973 at the Institute of Nuclear Energy of National Academy of Sciences
Laboratory staff: 6 researchers.
The organizer and the first head of the laboratory – Doctor of Medical Sciences A.F. Malenchenko. Since 2003.
The laboratory is a part of SSI “Institute of Radiobiology of NAS of Belarus», 2011-2018 – head laboratory Ph.D. Sushko S.N.
Areas of the laboratory investigations
*Radiation-induced violations of molecules, cells and the mechanisms of integration of their reactions to effects at the level of organisms and populations.
* Transgenerational effects and reactivity of animals and their posterity to the action of toxins under conditions of environmental radioactive pollution.
* Species radiosensitivity and adaptation of natural populations of animals under conditions of environmental radioactive pollution.
* Development of methods and means of natural origin for prophylactic use that increase the body’s resistance to adverse environmental conditions.
* Photoprotective activity of lichen extracts in vitro and in vivo.
Major achievements and developments of the laboratory
*It was found that the ecological features of the contaminated areas affect the accumulation of radionuclides in the tissues of animals of different taxonomic groups, their morpho-functional parameters, and in general influence on the formation of adaptive mechanisms.
* Long-term effects detected in animals from the contaminated with radionuclides territories allow to estimate the adaptive possibilities of organisms to radiation factor.
* There is a method worked out for detecting radiation-induced hidden damages in the hemoglobin molecule via the additional standardized exposure of chemical factors.
* The criteria of evaluating the functional state of the organism at the combined exposure of radiation and atmospheric pollutants in the transgenerational studies are worked out.
* Experimentally proved the effectiveness of means of radioprotective and anti-tumor action on the basis of water extracts of higher cultivated mushrooms in the form of a functional food additive.
* While using mushroom extracts of Shizophillum commune and Hericium erinaceus, an increase of antitumor resistance was found in posterity of mice exposed in the area of PSRER that was expressed by fall in growth rate of the Ehrlich’ ascites carcinoma and by increase in survival. That can be used in the complex therapy of cancer.
- Malenchenko A.F., Sushko S.N., Saltanova I.V. Interaction of radiative and nonradiative factors in the process of tumour formation // Int.J.Radiation, 2010. Vol. 7, N 3. P.188-197.
- Malenchenko A.F., Saltanova I., Sushko S. Ecological risk assesment on the territory of Belarus after Chernobyl accident. Carcinogen.Edited by Margarita Pesheva, Martin Dimitrov, Teodora Stefkova Stoycheva. Janeza Trdine 9, 51000 Riyeka, Croatia. 2012. Chapter 3.P.55-68.
- Naumov A.D., Timokhina N. I., Litvinchuk A.V., Vereshchako G.G., Khodosovskaya A.M., Sushko S.N., Kadukova E.M. Radioprotective Properties of Selenomethionine with Methionine, Extracts from Basidium Fungi and Exogenous DNA // Proceedings of the NATO advanced research Workshop on Advanced Bioactive Compounds «NATO Science for peace and security», Series – A. Crimea, Ukraine, may 15-17, 2012. Part 1. Tissue damage due to Radiological Agents. Chapter 5. P. 55-69.
- Kostenko S.A., Ermakova O.V. Sushko S.N., Fedorov E.V. Juice P.P., Bashlykova L.A., Kurylenko Y.F., Raskosha O.V., Savin A.O., Shaforost A.S. Cytogenetic indicators of somatic mutagenesis in mammals under conditions of chronic low-dose irradiation // Radiation. Biology. Radioecology, 2015, Vol. 55, № 1, P. 1-8.
- S.N. Sushko, S.V. Goncharov, N.D. Puzan. Formation of hematological effects in conditions of chronic irradiation and intoxication with heavy metals // Microelements in medicine, V. 16, 2015, №2 – p. 37-41.
- О.М. Khramchenkova, М.V. Matveyenkov. Cytotoxic activity of extracts from four lichen species related to tumor cells cultures // Journal of BSU. Ecology, № 2, 2018 – p. 88-98.
- О.М. Khramchenkova, М.V. Matveyenkov. Cytotoxic activity of acetone extracts from lichen related to human keratinocytes HaCAT cultures // Proceedings of GSU of F. Skaryna, № 3 (108), 2018 – p. 81-86.
Acting head of the laboratory – Alena Kadukova